Your threat assessment and risk mitigation will give you a good idea of the likely risks posed by anyone entering your premises, and the possibility of postal and courier services delivering hazardous items. You will also get a good understanding of the precautions and mitigation measures you need to take.
A security policy that requires staff to wear identity/security passes at all times should form part of your mitigation measures for those entering your premises. Security staff should be encouraged to challenge those who not wearing a pass.
Consider whether you should have post and other deliveries managed and screened off-site. Questions you should ask:
- Are mail, deliveries and visitors searched/screened in line with your identified threats?
- What is the access control policy for staff and contractors?
- Is your policy on staff wearing identity visible and widely communicated? Are staff encouraged to challenge those not wearing the correct identity?
A range of NPSA guidance is available to help you address the questions above:
- Screening and mail deliveries - comprehensive guidance and specification
- Screening people and their belongings – guidance and common options to use
- Screening vehicles – measures for deterrence