Pre-screening of employees, contractors and service providers should be included in your risk management approach as part of your overall organisation security strategy.
Pre-screening will help you to detect adverse information at the earliest possible stage, for example, making appropriate pre-employment checks on all prospective staff will uncover any irregularities in information they have provided.
Questions to cover as part of your pre-screening approach or framework:
- Are pre-employment checks a standard feature of your recruitment process?
- What level of pre-employment checks are made on contractors and service providers?
- Are checks in proportion to the applicant’s access to secure areas/ information?
NPSA guidance to help your organisation address these questions is available via the links below:
- Pre-employment Screening - good practice guide for use by those with responsibilities for security pre-screening
- Use of the internet in pre-employment screening – principles for employers to consider
- Overseas Criminal Record Checks - advice for employers and employees
- Personnel security and contractors – good practice guide
- Security in the Supply Chain - risk mitigation
Available on request - Take Another Look: ID Verification - a short DVD on the importance of verifying identity and authenticity of identity documents prior to recruitment. Send us your request using our contact form.