NPSA works with partners to identify risks and vulnerabilities to the UK’s national infrastructure, and to offer advice to reduce them. Our partners include:
- The rest of the UK’s intelligence community, government departments and devolved government with responsibility for infrastructure sectors.
- Businesses and organisations within the critical national infrastructure.
- Security specialists and advice delivery partners, including the police.
UK intelligence agencies
We are part of MI5, the Security Service, which exists to protect the UK against national security threats. Our advice is informed by the latest intelligence and information about the threats posed to the UK by terrorists and state actors. We also work closely with the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) a part of GCHQ, which offers advice to businesses and the public to keep them safe online.
UK government departments
Working with the police
NPSA works with the police, in particular the National Counter Terrorism Security Office (NaCTSO), which is a police hosted unit within the National Counter Terrorism Police Headquarters (CTPHQ).
NaCTSO support the Protect and Prepare strands of the government’s counter terrorism strategy (CONTEST) and are responsible for providing awareness, advice and guidance in the following areas:
- Publicly Accessible Locations (PALs) throughout the UK
- Hazardous sites and dangerous substances
- Critical National infrastructure
- Personal Security
NaCTSO work in partnership with government and industry and utilise a network of approximately 190 Counter Terrorism Security Advisors, who work within local police forces.
NaCTSO also work with Secured by Design, which is the official police security initiative that works to improve the security of buildings and their immediate surroundings to provide safe places to live, work, shop and visit against a variety of crimes.
Industry and Academia
Partnership with academia and the private sector is at the heart of NPSA work. Experts from a wide variety of academic institutions and private companies work with us to develop our advice & guidance.
- NPSA security guidance can help those working in and around public premises and events
- NPSA works with universities to develop guidance on how to undertake research safely and securely
- NPSA develops security guidance to help those working in manufacturing and engineering to protect your science and technological advantage
- NPSA produces security guidance to help the emerging technology sector operate securely and safely
Click on each of the below videos to find out about the experiences of existing customers from the following sectors: