PLEASE READ THESE LICENCE TERMS CAREFULLY
BY INSTALLING AND USING THE APP YOU AGREE TO THESE TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS DO NOT INSTALL THE APP.
If you are entering into these terms on behalf of a company or other legal entity, you represent that you have the authority to bind such entity and its affiliates to these terms and conditions. If you do not have such authority, do not install or use the App and you must not accept this agreement.
Who we are and what this agreement does
The National Protective Security Authority (NPSA) is the National Technical Authority for protective security advice. NPSA's role is to protect UK national security. We help to reduce the vulnerability of the UK to a variety of threats such as Terrorism, Espionage and Sabotage. The purpose of this App is to provide NPSA's security advice to members of the public.
The National Protective Security Authority of PO Box 60628 London, SW1P 9HA license you to use:
- The Think Before You Link v1 mobile application software, the data supplied with the software, (App) and any updates or supplements to it; and
- The related online documentation (Documentation)
as permitted in these terms.
Please be aware that internet transmissions are never completely private or secure and that any message or information you send using the App may be read or intercepted by others, even if there is a special notice that a particular transmission is encrypted.
Apple App store's and Google Play store's terms also apply
The ways in which you can use the App and Documentation may also be controlled by the Apple App Store and Google Play store's rules and policies
and where there are differences between the terms and conditions, these terms will apply.
Operating system requirements
This App requires an Apple device with either iOS 12 or iOS13, or an Android device with the Android 10 or 11 operating system.
Support for the App and how to tell us about problems
Support. If you want to learn more about the App or have any problems using it please take a look at our support resources within the app or contact the developer through the store from which you downloaded the App.
Contacting us (including with complaints). If you think the App is faulty or misdescribed or wish to contact us for any other reason please contact us via the NPSA website.
How we will communicate with you. If we have to contact you we will do so by email, by SMS, by phone or by pre-paid post, using the contact details you have provided to us.
How you may use the App, including how many devices you may use it on
In return for your agreeing to comply with these terms you may:
- download or stream a copy of the App onto your devices and view, use and display the App on such devices for your personal purposes only.
- use any Documentation to support your permitted use of the App.
- receive and use any free supplementary software code or update of the App incorporating "patches" and corrections of errors as we may provide to you.
You may not transfer the App to someone else
We are giving you personally the right to use the App as set out above. You may not transfer the App to someone else, whether for money, for anything else or for free. If you sell any device on which the App is installed, you must remove the App from it.
Changes to these terms
We may need to change these terms to reflect changes in law or best practice or to deal with additional features which we introduce.
We will notify you of any change to the terms within the app.
If you do not accept the notified changes you will not be permitted to continue to use the App and you must delete the App. You are permitted to redownload the App in the future but you must read and accept the terms again.
Update to the App
From time to time we may automatically update the App to improve performance, enhance functionality, reflect changes to the operating system or address security issues. Alternatively we may ask you to update the App for these reasons.
If you choose not to install such updates or if you opt out of automatic updates you may not be able to continue using the App.
If someone else owns the phone or device you are using
If you download or stream the App onto any phone or other device not owned by you, you must have the owner's permission to do so. You will be responsible for complying with these terms, whether or not you own the phone or other device.
We may collect technical data about your device
By using the App, you agree to us collecting and using technical information about the devices you use the App on and related software, hardware and peripherals to improve our products and to provide any services to you.
You agree that you will:
- not copy the App or Documentation, except as part of the normal use of the App or where it is necessary for the purpose of back-up or operational security;
- not translate, merge, adapt, vary, alter or modify, the whole or any part of the App or Documentation nor permit the App or any part of it to be combined with, or become incorporated in, any other programs, except as necessary to use the App on devices as permitted in these terms;
- not disassemble, de-compile, reverse engineer or create derivative works based on the whole or any part of the App nor attempt to do any such things.
- comply with all applicable technology control or export laws and regulations that apply to the technology used or supported by the App.
Acceptable use restrictions
- not use the App in any unlawful manner, for any unlawful purpose, or in any manner inconsistent with these terms, or act fraudulently or maliciously, for example, by hacking into or inserting malicious code, such as viruses, or harmful data, into the App, any service or any operating system;
- not infringe our intellectual property rights or those of any third party in relation to your use of the App;
- not transmit any material that is defamatory, offensive or otherwise objectionable in relation to your use of the App;
- not use the App in a way that could damage, disable, overburden, impair or compromise our systems or security or interfere with other users; and
- not collect or harvest any information or data from any service or our systems or attempt to decipher any transmissions to or from the servers running any service.
This App is for domestic and private use only. You must not use the App for any commercial, business or resale purpose.
Intellectual property rights
All intellectual property rights in the App and the Documentation throughout the world belong to us (or our licensors) and the rights in the App are licensed (not sold) to you. You have no intellectual property rights in, or to, the App or the Documentation other than the right to use them in accordance with these terms.
Responsibility for loss or damage suffered by you
Liability for losses and damage suffered by you. To the fullest extent permitted by law, we will not be liable for any losses or damages suffered by you arising from your use of the App, whether this liability arises in tort, breach of contract or otherwise.
We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors or for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
Limitations to the App and the Services. The App is provided for general information purposes only. It does not offer advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from taking, any action on the basis of information obtained from the App. Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information provided by the App, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that such information is accurate, complete or up to date.
Please back-up content and data used with the App. We recommend that you back up any content and data used in connection with the App, to protect yourself in case of problems with the App.
Check that the App is suitable for you. The App has not been developed to meet your individual requirements. Please check that the facilities and functions of the App (as described on the Appstore site and in the Documentation) meet your requirements.
We may end your rights to use the App if you break these terms
We may end your rights to use the App at any time by contacting you if you have broken these terms in a serious way. If what you have done can be put right we will give you a reasonable opportunity to do so.
If we end your rights to use the App:
- You must stop all activities authorised by these terms, including your use of the App.
- You must delete or remove the App from all devices in your possession and immediately destroy all copies of the App which you have and confirm to us that you have done this.
- We may remotely access your devices and remove the App from them and cease providing you with access to any services.
We may transfer this agreement to someone else
We may transfer our rights and obligations under these terms to another organisation. We will always notify you if this happens and we will ensure that the transfer will not affect your rights under the contract.
You need our consent to transfer your rights to someone else
You may only transfer your rights or your obligations under these terms to another person if we agree in writing.
No rights for third parties
This agreement does not give rise to any rights under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 to enforce any term of this agreement.
If a court finds part of this contract illegal, the rest will continue in force
Each of the paragraphs of these terms operates separately. If any court or relevant authority decides that any of them are unlawful, the remaining paragraphs will remain in full force and effect.
Even if we delay in enforcing this contract, we can still enforce it later
Even if we delay in enforcing this contract, we can still enforce it later. If we do not insist immediately that you do anything you are required to do under these terms, or if we delay in taking steps against you in respect of your breaking this contract, that will not mean that you do not have to do those things and it will not prevent us taking steps against you at a later date.
Which laws apply to this contract and where you may bring legal proceedings
These terms are governed by English law and you can bring legal proceedings in respect of the same in the English courts.